Contacting Rosemary

Looking to contact the author?
Drop me an e-mail:
rosemarynovels at aol.com.

Still No Agent, But Not Shutting The Door

This Red Room article was written in response to the second most common question that I get about my writing career. Agents can be great for a writing career, and many are easy to find online. I love reading Twitter pitch fests and it's interesting to see how agents are responding these days to a rapidly changing publishing field.

Do You Need An Agent?

The most common question that other writers ask me is "Do you have an agent?" And most are surprised when I say no. I've sold several nonfiction projects to publishers throughout the U.S., as well as novels to Wizards of the Coast, without an agent.

I love the idea of having an agent: somebody to sell my work, read contracts, and make sure royalties are paid on time. In the best of all possible worlds, somebody who cares about my writing, gives me suggestions on how to make it better, and maybe even mentors me through the ups and downs of pursuing a writing career.

There are agents out there who do all those things. I believe that paying them 15% of earnings is more than fair if they are the ones establishing where I can earn those earnings.

However, I've always found a market for my work without an agent. Mostly because I like to sell before I write (it's a time management issue), I've pursued publishers who accepted queries and issued contracts before I completed the manuscript. I could have sought an agent to handle the back end of the process, but I don't find reading contracts intimidating or troublesome.

Most of my publishing contracts were straight forward, and (sadly) I never thought I had a project worth so much money that it would pay to involve an agent or a lawyer to close up possible loopholes.

Realistically, I write for the midlist, not the bestseller list. Niche nonfiction, genre fiction, and shared world projects. In those markets, you can find publishers who are willing to work directly with an author.

Now, should I get the big bestseller idea, the Oprah book, the one that I know will sell millions, I would go look for an agent. But until then, I'll keep chugging along, working with publishers who want to work directly with me.

#SFWApro

No comments: