Contacting Rosemary

Looking to contact the author?
Drop me an e-mail:
rosemarynovels at aol.com.

BBC Book Poll: Have you read more than six?

My friend Erik Scott de Bie picked up this BBC poll which claimed that most people had read six or less of the titles listed below. I've certainly read more than that ... as had Erik .. and we're encouraging you to strike a blow for American literacy by showing what you've read.

While I can't say I have had too many !!EGADS!! moments (except with Dune), I did notice that many of the BBC picks have been dramatized for stage, screen, or TV. If I have something in red, I've seen a show based on it. If it is red and bold, I've read the book AND seen the show.

Want to see what I'm reading now? Add me as a friend on Goodreads.

Happy listing!
Rosemary

INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU DO THIS POLL:
■Copy this into your NOTES.
■Bold those books you've read in their entirety
■italicize the ones you started but didn't finish or read an excerpt.
■Type " !!! EGADS !!!! " next to ones you hated the TV miniseries
■Tag other book nerds.
Tweet me as well so I can see your responses.

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman (speaking of EGADS!!, that was me and book 3 in this series, but yes, I even saw the Golden Compass movie. Subtle Knife is my favorite in the trilogy).

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (this is one of those odd books where I can tell you the entire plot but I swear I never read it or saw the movie. It's just so part of our culture, it's hard to escape references).

7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne (one of my favorite Milne works is his dramatic adaptation of Wind in the Willows. Elsewhere I have written about his brilliant fractured fairytale Once On A Time)

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis

10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë (own at least two movie adaptations of this as well as a beautifully illustrated hardcover)

11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller (like To Kill A Mockingbird, I kept running across so many references in high school and college that I never had a desire to read the book. Too many spoilers, I guess).

12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier (to this day, one of my favorite opening lines. It's not nearly as romantic as you think it is. Just read the first chapter again. Really want to be creeped out? Try My Cousin Rachel by du Maurier).

15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres

20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy (I love the opera, which is rarely performed due to the cost and huge cast needed. But see it if you get a chance!)

21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling

23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling

24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling

25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy

27. Middlemarch, George Eliot

28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving

29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck (although I prefer East of Eden and his translation of Morte d'Arthur)

30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis (and Through the Looking Glass, and Sylvia and Bruno)

31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson

32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez

33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett

34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson (as mentioned earlier in this blog, I own four different editions because I can't decide which illustrator I like best. Kidnapped is probably my favorite RLS, but his short stories are amazing too.)

37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute

38. Persuasion, Jane Austen

39. Dune, Frank Herbert

40. Emma, Jane Austen

41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery

42. Watership Down, Richard Adams

43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald (I've always liked his short stories better than Gatsby)

44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas (my favorite Dumas, although I have read Three Musketeers and think the movie adaptions of the Musketeers have fared better than any of Monte Cristo)

45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh

46. Animal Farm, George Orwell

47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy

49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian

50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher (I own about eight of her novels but re-read them often, but could never finish Shell Seekers. Maybe next year!)

51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck

53. The Stand, Stephen King

54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

55. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth

56. The BFG, Roald Dahl

57. Swallows And Amazons, Arthur Ransome

58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

59. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer

60. Crime And Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

61. Noughts And Crosses, Malorie Blackman

62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden

63. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough

65. Mort, Terry Pratchett

66. The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton (River of Adventure and related volumes, the Five Investigators, and a bunch of other Blyton filled up my childhood. Never read this one though).

67. The Magus, John Fowles

68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (own a first edition that is, now, signed by both authors. Stalked them through a few events to accomplish this!)

69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett

70. Lord Of The Flies, William Golding

71. Perfume, Patrick Süskind

72. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell

73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

74. Matilda, Roald Dahl

75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding

76. The Secret History, Donna Tartt

77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins

78. Ulysses, James Joyce

79. Bleak House, Charles Dickens (first time I read this was on the Trans Siberian Express -- Beijing to Berlin -- it lasted through Mongolia and Siberia and left me in awe of Dickens' ability to create secondary characters)

80. Double Act, Jacqueline Wilson

81. The Twits, Roald Dahl

82. I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith

83. Holes, Louis Sachar

84. Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake (the British miniseries is strange, surreal, and made me want to re-read Peake)

85. The God Of Small Things, Arundhati Roy

86. Vicky Angel, Jacqueline Wilson

87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley (most recently banned in Seattle public school system for being unfair to Native Americans. Apparently the fact that it was dystopian science fiction that equally trashes all others didn't count).

88. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons

89. Magician, Raymond E Feist

90. On The Road, Jack Kerouac

91. The Godfather, Mario Puzo

92. The Clan Of The Cave Bear, Jean M Auel (I heard her lecture once on the advantages of being an author: she was allowed into caves currently closed by the French government. One of those moments when I thought that this was a career choice that I'd like to have. Although I wasn't willing to chew hide for research -- something Auel did during her extensive research).

93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett

94. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

95. Katherine, Anya Seton

96. Kane And Abel, Jeffrey Archer

97. Love In The Time Of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez

98. Girls In Love, Jacqueline Wilson

99. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot (I think Cabot is a great YA writer, although this is my least favorite of her books. Try The Mediator series for fun YA urban fantasy)

100. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie





1 comment:

Eni said...

I read Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree as well as The River of Adventure. The two books are in fact mentioned in passing in comparative analysis in my book on enid Blyton, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.thefamousfiveapersonalanecdotage.blogspot.com)
Stephen isabirye